Sunday, August 2, 2020

Time Management is a Myth

In my 15+ years as a personal development and human potential coach, one of the common challenges of clients is finding the time to get the coaching work done. Most adults are very busy people. Adding an additional 5-10 hours of coaching work can be very difficult.

One idea I'd like to share often makes a huge difference as clients struggle to find the time needed to be effective in their coaching program and find the improvement and clarity they desire.


The idea is this: time management does NOT exist. At least the idea that we can manipulate time is not a reality.

True, some sporting events can “stop the clock” and call a time out. 

For real life, the clock keeps moving and time does not stand still.

When I consider the idea of “time management,” what really comes to mind is the process of prioritizing our activities. That we can do!

In my parent’s era when I was growing up, they used an envelope system to allocate the family income to the various expenses and obligations. If the money ran out of the “groceries” envelope, it meant there was no more food purchases that month, or some of the money from another envelope was reallocated to the grocery envelope to make ends meet. There was no putting it on the credit card and hoping to figure it out later. 

Therein lies the key to allocating our finite amount of time. We all have 24 hours in a day, 168 hours in a week. How we choose to use that time is our challenge and our opportunity.

Like the budget envelopes of my parents, we can allocate our 168 hours in advance into different activities and projects. We can reassess throughout the week our choices of priorities and adjust if needed.

One of the most powerful benefits of this advanced scheduling is our ability to honestly say “no” to others looking to get the use of some of our 168 hours. 

Because we have already allocated our 168 hours in advance, we now have the option of kindly explaining that we are currently unavailable to help because of a prior commitment. Or, we can decide to elevate their request to be a priority for us as well and say yes.

Personally, I resist detailed scheduling in advance as explained in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator preference of “Perceiver.” However, when I’m faced with too many interruptions, or if I’m simply finding myself becoming less effective, I choose to schedule my 168 hours in detail so I have a ready option to say no, or yes, to the interruptions that come my way. 

The ability to say “no” is one of the very best ways to improve our productivity and get the things that are our highest priorities done on a regular basis.

For more information about my coaching programs and how you can increase your potential, email me at chris@dtesuccess.com or text me at 801-410-2266. Mention my "Do The Extraordinary" blog for special pricing.

Start now to live a life of vision and clarity, with a renewed sense of hope for your future, and get on your very own customized path to a life of joy and abundance in your very first coaching session!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment