Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What Matters Most

One of my favorite poems is by Linda Ellis titled, “The Dash.” I have it framed and in my office where I can see it often and it’s a good reminder for me to focus on what matters most in my life. Part of it goes as follows:

“I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning…to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For the dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth
and how only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own,
the cars…the house…the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash


I have what’s often referred to as a “bucket list.” It’s over 5 years since I wrote out my personal bucket list. The process of creating it and then focusing on accomplishing things on my list has been both remarkable and a whole lot of fun.

One of my bucket list items, and presumably the last one I’ll accomplish is that “My funeral be a celebration of a life well lived.” What a great gift that would be to all those you care about the most to allow them to have your funeral be a time of celebration instead of filled with regret and sadness. Of course there should be sadness in the fact that you will be truly missed and we’d rather be together as long as possible. But there just seems to be great peace for those left behind when they feel the “dearly departed” lived an accomplished and full life.

A “dash” full of meaning and accomplishment is designed. It doesn’t happen by accident. So the question is, “What will your ‘dash’ represent when your mortal life is done?” Have you designed it yet or have you left it to chance?


For information on how to design a great ‘dash’ go to http://www.dtesuccess.com/ to learn more.


© DTE Consulting 2012, Help you to “Do The Extraordinary!”

No comments:

Post a Comment