Friday, January 17, 2020

Are You Open-Minded, Really?


I like to walk to disconnect from all the distractions around me and just think. I used to listen to music while I walked, but I found by not having any electronic distractions, I develop more original thoughts.

As I was walking a few weeks ago I started thinking about being open-minded and whether or not I was very open-minded personally.

I think over the years I have become less open-minded in many ways, and more open-minded in many ways, depending on the subject matter. 


 One idea that came to mind as I was pondering being open-minded was this thought.

Being open-minded means being willing to ask questions we don’t already know the answers to.

Our media sources are loaded with what appears to be “discussion groups” or interviews that are simply set up to only ask the questions that already have specific responses already decided and expected. 

Or if a contrarian view is presented, the haters pile on the hate and try and shout down the alternative point of view. 

Whenever you are faced with a point of view that you automatically disagree with consider if you are willing to ask questions to which you don’t already know the answer. 

Maybe you will recognize you need to develop a more open mind. 

(Photos: Dimple Dell County Park)

No comments:

Post a Comment